YouMobile on Facebook YouMobile on Google+ Follow YouMobile on Twitter
Tags - regains


There was a big upset last quarter when Apple toppled Samsung from the company's seemingly perpetual hold on the number one position in regard to the global smartphone market share. Of course that was a direct result of the infamous Note 7 disaster and the fact that Samsung did not have any recent major players in the smartphone market during the Holiday season, while every other company did, including Apple. At the end of Q4, 2016, Apple was the global market leader in the smartphone business with a 20.3% market share. Samsung had to settle for the second position with just 18.5% of the market share.


As expected, the tables have changed significantly, according to a new report published by the TrendForce analytics team. Samsung has taken back its number one position from Apple with a whopping 26.1% global market share at the end of Q1, 2017, pushing Apple back to the second position with only 16.9% market share. Considering that the S8 and the S8+ have not even been released yet, we would say these are truly impressive figures and Samsung has finally overcome the shadow of the failed Note 7 now. As the S8 and S8+ will hit stores all around the world in a few weeks, we expect that Q2 results for 2017 will be even more impressive for the Korean giant, despite all the recent controversies surrounding the conglomerate.


Saikat Kar (tech-enthusiast)




Samsung had been losing ground in India for a couple of years now, but things got particularly serious when Samsung lost the number one spot to Xiaomi two quarters ago; a feat that had not been achieved for years in the country. However, instead of conceding defeat, Samsung released some new smartphones in the budget and mid-range category (the Galaxy J series in particular) to resurface as the country's leading smartphone vendor, which has clearly worked because Samsung is back on top after just two quarters.


Do keep in mind that in spite of improving the sales numbers, the lead is a slim one as Xiaomi still claimed an impressive 28% of the total smartphone sales in in Q2 2018, and Samsung only managed to edge the Chinese OEM out by a 1% lead, by claiming 29% of the total smartphone sales in India last quarter. As you can see in the image, Vivo, Oppo and Huawei's Honor series held the third, fourth and fifth position respectively, although the difference in between the top two OEMs and the rest is huge!


Source: Counterpoint


Saikat Kar


Description

youmobileorg
Posts: 4738





© 2018 YouMobile Inc. All rights reserved