We have shocking news for you today as we have reports that a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 has exploded in Asia while it was being charged. As you can probably imagine, everyone is trying to figure out what actually went wrong, but the only thing we know so far is that a micro-USB to USB Type-C converter was being used to charge the smartphone. Take a look at the photos to get an idea of the situation.
It is unclear as to where it happened exactly, but China seems to be the country as that's where the images came from. This follows news of Samsung Note 7 lawsuits in Ohio and Florida in the US.
After taking a look at the post-explosion photos, we are not entirely sure if the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 can be called "safe" anymore, unless someone comes up with a convincing explanation that says otherwise.
In the meantime, be sure to only use Samsung certified chargers, cables and converters with your Samsung smartphones. As a rule of thumb, no smartphone should be kept near a source of heat or where there is a chance of liquid damage. Other than that, we can only hope that this was a one-off case, brought on by faulty electronic equipments.
Saikat Kar (tech-enthusiast)
As Gene Munster from Piper Jaffray pointed out on CNBC yesterday, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus couldn't have chosen a better time to come out unless Apple had some sort of premonition about the impending disaster that has now befallen their biggest competitor in the market. The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 was a beautiful flagship device that was set to conquer markets around the world once again, but then its batteries started exploding! At this point of time, authorities, experts and most importantly, Samsung itself has officially requested everyone who owns a Note 7, to shut down their device and go to the nearest service centre for a replacement. The entire 2.5 million smartphones which were sent to the customers are going to be replaced or refunded by Samsung, which alone would cost them more than a billion dollars. The damage will be much bigger than a billion dollars in the long run though, because of the bad reputation that this incident is sure to brand Samsung with.
The iPhone 7 on the other hand, was not received well by fans and critics alike (barring a few hardcore fans of course). The new handset is being criticized for not bringing any real innovation to the series and also for excluding the well loved 3.5mm jack, while bringing in a somewhat strange-looking AirPod to the market at a premium cost. Nevertheless, there have been no reports of the iPhone 7's batteries exploding and settingthings on fire, so it's pretty much obvious that Apple is bound to see a significant sales boost, now that their biggest competitor is somewhat out of the equation for a small while. Some experts have predicted that Apple may very well have suffered an even lower sales number this year, had their competitor's smartphones not started catching fire right before the latest iPhones went on sale.
Saikat Kar (tech-enthusiast)